Thursday, August 15, 2013

How dare you Madam!


By the fates, Freed by Patricia D. Eddy

Not even halfway through I had to write this author and fuss. I was reading on my break and crying; my timer went off and I had to get myself together before I could get back to my desk. That is how good this book is!

I really got into this book right away, the story of Elasaid the target of a powerful devil clan. They bind her, taking her name, her voice, and her magic. Shackled inside the cold, stone walls of the devil’s prison, tortured and abused, she pray
s for a death she knows will not come.

A few times I had to give myself a break, some of these scenes were really intense, but the payoff and meeting Raven helped me get through some of the more 'raw' scenes. Raven, a warlock and powerful protector gives a casual promise to his king’s Council results in a life-changing discovery. He must free her the witch or his very life will be over.

Freed, Elsaid must learn how to trust again. But Raven with the face of a dark angel is hiding something — a secret that will give the witch the strength to help her to fulfill her destiny.

As she comes into her power, she will discover a pure truth that allows her to save herself and the man she loves.

This is the first book in the By the Fates trilogy.
 

Warning: This book contains disturbing and potentially offensive scenes including forced imprisonment, rape and physical and mental torture. Suitable for adult audiences only.

The Good:

This book is very well written, some of the 'raw' scenes I described above could have really turned me off, but they were tastefully done. You feel the heroine's pain, without being too weighed down. And later, when she is free, you will cry happy tears of joy with her as she discovers life. If that is not enough, than let me tell you that the characters are likeable and well written and the plot is a good pace so you can be introduced into this new world without having to go back to the beginning trying to define a term. I love bad guys and this had more than a few for me to choose from, Yay! Also a plus is the fact that there were no screaming errors; the book is well edited and there are no glaring plot holes either.
This book is told in the first person narrative of both main characters, I know that a lot of people don’t care for first person; I'm not one of them. However, for those that do,  I felt that the break-up of point view really helps with the FP.
Diversity: Raven is Dusky, Marcus is dark skinned. Thank you for writing good diverse characters

The bad:

 I just felt that the bad guys need a better comeuppance.

I’m jus sayin:

These bad guys especially deserved a terrible ending.

Want to read this Great read? Check it out on Amazon, goodreads, B&N

No comments:

Post a Comment