Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Gloom after reading this book......


The loom by Shella Gillus
I got this book from the library and began to read of a slave. A forward thinking slave who despite her misfortune of being owned and worked to the bone is forward thinking.
This is where it fell apart for me. A slave that believes whites were just as much slave. A mistress that convinces her slave to pass as white; a slave privileged enough to marry who turns her back on the husband she loves to end up with a white man that hates blacks.
So many themes and storylines. An oppressed person who feels bad for the persons who oppress her? No thanks. I can't imagine being a slave; the threat of rape hanging over my head, working to the bone and then feeling sorry for the people that kept me living in fear. The story seems too unbelievable and that is coming from a person who's favorite books contain male shifters with perfect bodies who fall to their knees for BBW's. So that is saying a lot coming from me.
If you're interested in a good book written about this era, try 
                     
"Wench" by Dolen Perkins-Valdez

No comments:

Post a Comment