Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Say my name!

I found this book via twitter and really like the premise: MAYNE spent her adult life closed off emotionally from the world around her. She learned very early on that those who get close to her end up dead. She knows she is cursed, but what she doesn’t know is why.

From the very beginning I loved Mayne St. Le Clair she and I are a lot alike, we say how we feel and we love a good movie. I was literally tweeting lines from the book as I read the novel and laughed out loud. Then, ECTAIN “ERIC” EDECK enters the story. Can Mayne get past the hurt and fall in love or has her heart been broken too many times?


Warning: This book references religion, heaven, hell, angels, and the devil.
The good:

Their are a lot of really good lines in this book:

"..his voice was soft and rich. It rolled over me like butter on a hot biscuit." loc.283

"I'm aware of your habit of speaking to yourself through talking to the dog" loc 405 Yes, I resemble this comment. I do talk to the dog as a means of talking to myself. Cause only crazy people talk to themselves and answer back!

Jim, I love when writers make pets characters in the book.

I've never read of a memory keeper before, so I thought this was very unique.

I won't get into it, but I found the religious philosophies of this book to be interesting. The fall of the angel of light, nephillim, Gabriel, Michael, the grim reaper all make an interesting appearance in this novel. My kudos to the author for having the gumption to include all of these characters in a new way.

The bad:

I did not actually like Mayne and couldn't find a reason for Eric or many of the characters to like her either. She talked poorly to people and she was insensitive to her friends up until the very end. She had reasons yes, but you choose to be a b!tch, no circumstances can take that fact away.

At one point Mayne is arguing scripture with an angel. AN ANGEL. As in a creature created for the sole purpose of serving God. I think that the author was trying to prove that the angels know the scripture, but can never know what it is to feel what it means because they are designed to just follow commands. But it came across as a pissing contest of biblical knowledge.

Their were some continuity and grammatical problems that were minor distractions from the storyline.

I'm jus saying:

This is a satisfactory read that will make you laugh and maybe cry. The character deals with deep emotions of loss and regret that you may find enjoyable.


Thank you for reading this review, please subscribe! and, read this book from Amazon, or goodreads.



No comments:

Post a Comment